Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ABC Wednesday - Z is for Zoo (again)


A year ago I did Z is for Zoo but then I took you to Tenerife. This time we are nearer home in Blackpool on very wet November day. As the visit was part of the holiday-package we didn't forego it just because of the precipitation.


We got there just before the sea-lions were been fed so went there first. A party of school children were watching and others were watching too.


At the flamingo pool the birds were grouped in a circle.


They had their heads in the water and as the heavy rains started we were getting just as wet.


Even the dromedaries turned their back on us.


Soon we returned to the entrance area, which houses a gift shop, cafe and excellent clean toilet facilities. We dried ourselves out; had tea and a sandwich; watched the TV on the wall of the dining area. As there was still over an hour to wait for the bus to take us back to the hotel, we put our anoraks back on and ventured out again to the Dinosaur Safari.


This is quite an interesting display with models of prehistoric creatures and information boards which didn't bother reading. The path wended its way around and we could shelter a while behind a waterfall.


The domed building seen in this last photograph is the "Rain Forest Exhibition". I thought it was a hothouse with a glass roof, but we discovered it was open and the exotic birds were all sheltering under the vegetation.

Next door was the Elephant House whose occupants were busily moving straw about. Not having a stick with a horse's head handle, we decided to go back inside and wait for the bus.

If the weather had been fine we would obviously have enjoyed it a lot more. But then, if it had been full of screaming kids and much busier, perhaps we wouldn't.

More Z posts can be seen on the ABC Wednesday Anthology blog.

Others can be found via the ABC Wednesday with Mister Linky which carries a registry of participants.

19 comments:

  1. Great zoo photos. I particularly liked the flamingo photo.

    An Arkie's Musings

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite must be the water fall with the cave as a frame.

    But a Zoo without Zebras? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a nice walk in the zoo. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a long time since I went to Blackpool Zoo - nearly twenty years ago - it looks OK - will have to give it a try again ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos, I haven't visited a zoo for many years, maybe this year I will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those Flamingos are such a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You got some great shots in spite of the rain. Your commentary made our vicarious visit seem very real. I was ready to dry out and have a cup of tea with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Gerald ,
    What an impressive post you ZOO. I do not often go to a Zoo, so I am glad you showed me this photoserie for ABC. And THANKYOU for hosting the ABCround3, that was a good round.

    I made also a ZOO, but on ICE , please come and watch my blog:)
    www.joannwalraven.blogspot.com

    Greetings JoAnn/Holland

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have conncetions with this place via the Solaris centre Blackpool.They exhibed my bird pics via my friend Dave who runs the Solaris centre. He used to run the volunatry wardens up the wetlands project. Yes I was a volunteer. Rambling again. Nota s long as Pterus since I've been but a good while. Zebra, Zoo, and was it a zoom lens.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the flamingos, too! A rainy day, perhaps, but you still managed to get some great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think the seals and birds noticed the weather! And that flamingo colour is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How pretty are those flamingos? Take my breath away gorgeous! Hope your week is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is one beautiful zoo! that dome in your last photo sounded very interesting. have you got photos of it too? mine is zoo too! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flamingoes really stand out against the grey of the day. It's not a lot of fun tramping around when it's so wet and miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are again some very spectactular photos to be seen! I love the flamingo photo! It's so colourful and the composition is great! The waterfall is also beautiful! Thanks for showing us around!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flamingos are so bright - very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see you have a thing for flamingoes- I did warn you about drinking Orangina.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the flamingoes best!

    The camel pic is nice, too .. but I thought dromedaries were the ones with only one hump. Guess I need to go back to zoo school!

    ReplyDelete