Wednesday, May 12, 2010

ABC Wednesday: Q is for the
Queens Arms at Kirkham


For the third week in a row my contribution to ABC Wednesday is a pub and like last week we are in Kirkham.

Although I'm a teetotaller, it appears that I take more photos of Public Houses than anything else (but it is still only just under 4% of the subjects I photograph).

My excuse is that so many pubs are disappearing that I want to record as many as possible while they still remain. This one looks to be still open although seeking a new landlord.

It is on what was the main road from Preston to Blackpool and Fleetwood. Where the car is parked looks like the entrance to stables and so this was probably a coaching inn originally.

I've aged and tinkered slightly with the perspective to produce this image.

You can see the original photograph of Poulson Street with the Queens Arms lying next to Xtreme Dry Cleaning on Geograph.

For more Q posts visit ABC Wednesday.

16 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your photos of Pubs, Gerald. I didn't realize that they are disappearing! That's the one thing I didn't think would ever disappear!!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of the UK, I think opf pubs. It'd be a shame if they disappeared.

    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Roger I put Pubs and the UK together too. I dislike seeing history and traditions falling by the wayside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder why they are disappearing. If that is happening to so many pubs it is nice to have a picture of them before they are gone. ^_^

    ABC Wednesday~Q

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a shame if pubs are disappearing - they are the epitome of community life and companionship. In Canada stringent drinking and driving laws have made many pub-goers very nervous indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pubs are such interesting buildings, aren't they? Such a shame they are disappearing. We had three in our village when we moved here, now two are closed and the third under threat of closure. I don't drink either, but I hate to see a traditional part of our culture slipping away.

    On behalf of the team, thanks for taking part in ABC Wednesday this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a pity English pubs are disappearing! They're such a very British institution.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I'm quite thirsty now!

    http://www.gardenersreach.com/post/Q-for-Ruddy-Quail-Dove.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Many pubs are a good many years old, so they make a good topic for photographs. You could do a book on England's Old Pubs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. do they serve peas and pies?

    Been watching a lot of Pub make over shows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You captured this so well...
    Well done, Gerald.
    I much preferred yours...
    Mine is here
    Happy Sensational Wednesday!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pubs are a good subject! You are documenting a culture that may soon disappear.
    Queen is an excellent Q-word!
    (I am also a tea-totaler!)
    Best wishes,
    Anna
    http://annasadornments.blogspot.com/2010/05/q-as-in-quilts-quartz-abc-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. I appreciate the fact that you feel compelled to document what seems to be disappearing-pubs. Nice architecture too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pubs rock, so charming! I wish we had more of them here!Queens Arms looks beautiful and so traditional!

    Kisses from Nydia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that would make nifty nice living quarters.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You do a good job for the Pubs memories.
    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete