Sunday, February 28, 2016
St Peter's Church, Ashton-under-Lyne
St Peter's Church was built between 1821 and 1824, and was designed by Francis Goodwin in a free Perpendicular style constructed in ashlar stone with a slate roof. The church is an example of a Commissioners’ Church built with money voted by Parliament as a result of the Church Building Act of 1818 and 1824.
The church lies in a triangle of land bounded by Manchester Road, Stockport Road and William Street, part of which includes West End Park.
An interesting short history of the church written in 1974 by John Hedges can be read on the Rhodes Family History website.
A contribution to Inspired Sundays.