Saturday, June 04, 2016

Kashmir Goat sculpture on the Great Orme


The Shah of Persia gave a herd of Kashmir goats to Queen Victoria who passed them on to Lord Mostyn the local landowner in Llandudno and their descendants now roam the Great Orme. I posted photos of a black goat at West Shore in a post dated 2nd August 2014. A fuller account of the goats can be found on the Visit Wales website.

This sculpture was unveiled in 2002 at the opening of the refurbished Great Orme Visitor Centre next to Summit Tram Station. It wasn't until I tried to find more information about the sculpture that I discovered it was by Graham High, the same Graham High whose fourth poetry collection Wolf on the Third Floor I published in 2000.

For more information on his work in various creative fields please visit Graham High's website.

The coloured version of this photograph can be found on Geograph.

A contribution to
The Weekend in Black and White;
Weekend Reflections;
Shadow Shot Sunday.

8 comments:

  1. A very fine sculpture, the epitome of Goat. I love the shadows and reflections in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a character called Morgan the Goat in a delightful comedy film set in Wales: The Man Who Went Up A Hill And Came Down A Mountain.
    The Orme can be bracing. Goat looks at home there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a goat, I follow several sanctuaries on Facebook. I am just watching John Sargent at Hyde in a Barge. and thought of you. I hope you are keeping well. Don xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely sculpture and great reflection of it! Cool that there are Kashmir goats wandering around Wales!

    ReplyDelete