Sunday, July 25, 2010

Shadow Shot Sunday:
Pippin Street Roundabout


On our way back from Southport last week our coach was diverted along the B5242 from Scarisbrick to Burscough.

While stuck in traffic at the Pippin Street Roundabout I took this photograph through the window.

I didn't know what this was but after a lot of googling (most of it futile) I eventually discovered Tollgate Road leads from the roundabout to the Burscough Industrial Estate. The roundabout features an eyecatching design linked to the estate's history as a former military airfield. The main element of the design is the use of wing-shaped markers, which have been designed as a reference to the Fairey Firefly fighter plane flown from the site in World War II.

There is another view of the roundabout on Geograph.

For more shadows shots this Sunday visit Hey Harriet.

9 comments:

  1. Great shadow shot for the day, Gerald. Interesting background, too! Hope your weekend is going well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great, wings to show us the way to an airfield. Where the practical (airfoils) in one genre (air) works in another (ground). Practical artwork indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I got to do a little cross-country with you today. The design Looks rather like a tiny, partial Stonehenge on Google Earth. Your descriptions are very helpful when I try to follow on the map. I'm and old truck driver, and I love to get the big picture.

    TheFredEffect

    ReplyDelete
  4. More and more designs are appearing on roundabouts - I notice when we are out on the motorbike. As I don't wear my glasses when I am on the bike sometimes I see some things which I have to check out! We have one roundabout which has a deer sculpture on it - ofcourse I thought it was real! lol! Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These features are such a wonderful idea linking new worlds and past history! The wing shape is iconic and casts a great shadow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shadow shot.xlynda

    photo blog http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com
    and
    art/craft http://tryingtocreatearteveryday.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete