Monday, October 17, 2011

Another Week - Another Hospital

over Ridge Hill
the sun rises slowly
from my hospital bed

gerald england

I was getting back towards normal after my operation at Stepping Hill and on the Saturday we went down town with Craig as usual. Later I developed what I thought was indigestion but there was no relief so an ambulance was called which took me to Tameside Hospital. By about 3am the doctors had got the blood results which indicated everything OK with my kidneys and liver. The ECG showed nothing wrong with my heart. I was sent home with a bottle of Gaviscon to help with trapped wind.

I took it easy on Sunday but my appetite was poor and I still felt in pain. Around 2am Monday morning I took some paracodol and was immediately sick. The same paramedics who'd seen me the previous night arrived again and carted me back to hospital.

It was "nil-by-mouth" until Thursday and the discomfort was considerable. An ultrasound scan revealed the problem as an inflammed gall-bladder and some stones. At my lowest ebb on Friday morning I was feeling very lonely indeed having had little rest and no visitors from outside.

The patient in the next bed loaned me his mobile and I was able to finally get through to Christine. It was fortuitous that we had booked an appointment for Christine's Social Worker to call and discuss her recent respite care. She arrived to find Christine alone and wondering about my fate. She set up an immediate arrangement for people to come in and assist her three times a day.

Christine's hairdresser came to see her on Friday and she arranged for David, her husband, who is a taxi-driver to bring her up to see me on Friday afternoon. He had a scooter meet Christine on arrival at the hospital. He then came back later with a wheelchair to take her back down.

Just after she arrived the doctors came on their rounds and explained that I needed to stay a few more days in order for the gall bladder to start calming down. After that they would send me home and call me back in about six weeks when they would remove the gall bladder under keyhole surgery.

I'm home now thankfully. The support for Christine is continuing. I'll contine to blog spasmodically as and when I feel up to it.


  1. Blimey Gerald you are in the wars mate!

    I'm heartened that you have a good support network.

    Wishing you a speedy recovery :>)

  2. Sorry you're having a rough time. The keyhole surgery isn't too bad. Recovery is definitely faster.

  3. Being in a wheelchair myself and on a ventilator, I understand your concern. My wife is my primary caregiver and a couple of months ago she also had to have that same surgery. All turned out well however we also had people come in to help with my needs.

    I hope all turns out well for you and your wife.

  4. I'm glad that you are all right for the time being. In-and-out of hospitals is a kind of slow torture, and even worse when you have people depending on you being there.

    All the best to both of you!

  5. I just saw this news. Good luck Gerald and my wishes for a full and speedy recovery!