This photograph of Moor Top Hill, taken in 1960 is one of the first photographs I ever took. I've no idea what make and model of camera it was. This was, and still is, the A628 road from Barnsley to Pontefract.
This other 1960 photograph shows Mill Lane and the level crossing. More about the railway at a later date.
Last January I published here an old photo of the Boot & Shoe at Ackworth. Now it appears that the Boot & Shoe is a Top Yorkshire Live Music Venue. The new landlord it seems has a second business in Bell Lane. specialising in repairs and spares for Jaguar Cars.
I wrote then that active Ackworth websites appeared to be limited to
- Ackworth Community Church
- Ackworth Heritage Group
- Ackworth School, from its IT dept.
- Welcome to Ackworth School, the school's official website.
- Ackworth Concert Society
- Ackworth Cricket Club
- Ackworth & District Riding Club
- Ackworth in 1822, from Baines' Directory
- Ackworth in 1927, from Kelley's Directory
- Ackworth Junior Football Club
- Ackworth Parish Council
- Ackworth, Yorkshire - genealogy pages from Angela Peyt
- Selrag, a group lobbying for the long-promised South East Link Road, aka Ackworth Bypass
My last photo today is from Ackworth Village Fete, 1985. The pig-tailed lady from Riding for the Disabled is introducing four-year old Craig to a horse for the first time. There's a photograph from the 1984 Fete on Old Yorkshire. The chap in the bottom right hand corner is my dad and next to him is my brother-in-law Pat.