Wednesday, October 28, 2009

ABC Wednesday - O is for Oldham Mumps


Oldham Mumps station on the Manchester Victoria to Rochdale line, photographed on a rainy day in September 2008. The station is cut off from the town by the bypass and access is via an underpass. The rain was so heavy that day I took these two photographs and caught the next train back to Victoria.


Here we are looking back along the line towards Manchester.

Oldham Mumps along with other stations along the line closed on October 4th 2009 and will be shut for two years. When it reopens it will be part of the Manchester Metrolink network. More information can be found on the GMPTE website and the Light Rail Transit Association website.

For more O posts visit ABC Wednesday.

9 comments:

  1. Any idea of the derivation of 'mumps' - a very odd name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wished I could take the train more : ) I think it is such a romantic mode of transportation! Delightful post. As always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting name. Must be very inconvenient to have the train closed for 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I visited Europe I traveled a lot by train and loved it. Here, it's very inconvenient. I'd love to take a page from your book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first reaction too - an interesting name.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it a great name! glad you thought of it for "o" day.
    I'm also glad that the station will reopen again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The train is the only civilized form of mass transit. But odd name oindeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit the name "MUMPS" gave me some unpleasant associations...

    Re your comment - the Otters were from the wild-life park in Kristiansand and shot at feeding time a couple of weeks ago. The lighting was a you saw very special, but it would take a page to explain the local geography and conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to hear that the station will be opening again!

    Even with the rain, it makes a good photo. :)

    ReplyDelete