Saturday, January 09, 2010

New Website for the Yorkshire Dialect Society


The Yorkshire Dialect Society now has a new website at http://www.yorkshiredialectsociety.org.uk/.

As I mentioned in my post of January 2008, I've been a Life member of the Yorkshire Dialect Society for about forty years now. Established in 1897, it is the world's oldest surviving dialect society. It holds four meetings a year around the county and publishes both an annual Transactions and a Summer Bulletin.

For examples of Yorkshire dialect haiku see that post and my post in January 2009.

Graeme Garvey is the new editor of Transactions, the latest issue of which includes a tribute by Peter French for Stanley Ellis (1926 - 2009) who held the society together for many years. His voice is etched into my brain and he is very sadly missed. Another long-serving member Arnold Kellett (1926 - 2009) is also remembered.

Stan an' Arnold
tha'll be missed tha knaws
bu' nivver fret
get aff an' see Fred Brown
chiding Euclid's childer.

Gerald England.

1 comment:

  1. I remember enough of Yorkshire to be able to translate it well!

    ReplyDelete