Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Bridges:
Macclesfield Canal #1


This is bridge #1 on the Macclesfield Canal at Marple.

In this direction it is actually the last one as under the bridge is the Peak Forest Canal.

Opened in 1831, the Macclesfield Canal was one of the last narrow canals to be built running 26¼ miles from Marple Junction to the stop lock at Hall Green near Kidsgrove on the Trent & Mersey Canal.

It was fine when I set off but when I got off the bus the rain started and it was chucking it down by the time I got here.

I took this quickly, holding my umbrella in one hand and the camera in the other.


This is a gray scale look from bridge #1 into the Marple basin. You can see the original colour version on Geograph.

I was heading to the Ring o' Bells pub just beyond Bridge #2. Recently the pub's cat was hailed a hero for rescuing an injured duck. See the video on the Manchester Evening News.

For more Sunday Bridges visit San Francisco Bay Daily Photo.

12 comments:

  1. An umbrella Gerald? Rain in UK in August????? Do I sound surprised? lol!

    Good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, rain or not, it's a beautiful scenery and fantastic shot!
    Léia

    ReplyDelete
  3. That video and story are incredible! Just made my day!!!
    This is a very nice wet bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It´s a lovely bridge
    Nice week end
    Elisa, Argentina

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a charming bridge indeed, and the rain does not detract from the photo. I sure like what looks like cobblestone on the start of the ramp.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bridge and fabulous story!
    I really loved it!
    Greetings:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, here's the picture I was looking for. I just wanted to gaze on it's coolness. It's so hot and dry here in Kansas, this is a real treat. Thanks, Gerald!

    The Fred Effect

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful canal and bridge over it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful place and bridge, with a fascinating atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete