Sunday, January 31, 2016
St Lawrence, Denton
St Lawrence's Church, Denton is on the busy Ashton to Stockport Rd (A6017), and so is a notable landmark for many travellers. It is at the centre of the parish of St Lawrence, about a quarter of a mile from Denton Town Centre.
The church is a timber-framed building dating from 1531 at the most conservative estimate. It is one of only 29 of this type of common mediæval church building remaining in England and Wales.
It began as a chapel of ease for the medieval manor of Denton within the Parish of Manchester, dedicated to St. James until the discovery in the mid-nineteenth century of a stained glass window to St Lawrence. It became a parish church under the name St. Lawrence in 1839.
When the chapel was built, its original benefactors, the Hollands and Hydes, were staunch Roman Catholics. It stood firm also through the upheavals of the Puritan Era, under the leadership of the much-persecuted John Angier a Puritan divine who was Minister of St Lawrence for forty six years until his death in 1677. He survived the various religious upheavals of those troubled times and continued to preach the Puritan message.
The graveyard was grassed over in 1965 when the former Denton Council took it over under the Open Spaces Act, and, in accordance with that Act the gravestones were either removed, covered over or broken up. A few gravestones remain, though probably not in their original locations.
More information can be found on the church website.
A further selection of photographs can be found on Geograph.
A contribution to Inspired Sundays.